Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Sliding

I wonder why people fall down on ice so much.

Then again, I wonder why I always skate it when I'm on ice. Pretend to speed skate. You know.

I connected these two the other day. People fall down on ice because they are essentially unwillingly skating without control. They can't regain their balance, and soon you see an arm fly up, a surprised whoop (most of the time), and the next thing they know they need to replace their hip. Why bother with all this emotional and financial struggle?

I say whenever you hit a patch of ice, skate it! That way, you are already sliding, but at least you are in control of your slide. A fun, controlled slide is much more appealing than a sudden, rambunctious pain not only in your butt, but also in your health insurance.

The same applies to slippery corners when driving. Instead of taking a turn and being surprised by the ditch or a stop sign, drift the corner instead. As long as you know how to regain stability when done drifting, you can be in control of your slide instead of suddenly sliding out of control.

No comments:

Post a Comment